Building Kit Storage
At the time of delivery the driver must have clear access within 5 to 6 metres of the building site to allow placement of the kit. Ensuring the kit is placed as close to the building pad as possible will minimize double handling, which will result in some form of damage to the steel building components.
Storing your steel building kit correctly is important to ensure it remains in top condition. For those who intend on storing their building kit for an extended period of time before construction, extra care and consideration must be taken.
The following recommendations and precautions should be taken into consideration when storing your steel building kit:
- The steel building kit and its various sections must be laid on a level and flat plane. The removal of the retaining straps releases pressure, when the building kit is not on a level site it can move and result in damage to the kit and or persons in close proximity
- Cladding must be placed on gluts or suitable timber dunning to avoid tug cladding from contacting mud or water. Stacks and piles of cladding have a capillary action and will suck up mud and water, consequently denigrating the cladding surfaces
- Do not use steel to support the section packs. Different types of materials will cause surface corrosion problems with cold form steel components
- Steel building kit packs should be covered if they are not going to be constructed within the near future
- Adequate drainage must be ensured to keep the building kit raised and dry
- Finishing’s and gutters need to be handled carefully as they are easily damaged. Roller and personal access doors should also be handled in the same manner
- Bolts and screws should be stowed away in a dry and safe place to prevent fixings rusting
Several safety issues arise with the storage of building kits. It is imperative that care is taken to avoid risks, including;
- Slipping or rolling packs
- Sharp edges
- Pests and venomous animals
To best minimise these risks building kits should be stored correctly and have a perimeter barrier to avoid injury.
Sheds n Homes supply plans and construction manuals with every steel building kit. It is in your best interest to familiarise yourself with these documents and stow them away safety should you need to be refer back to them in the future.